Becoming An SDI Assistant Instructor
This course is designed for Divemasters who are looking to take their scuba education to the next level. Taking your SDI Assistant Instructor Course allows for you to start teaching in the scuba industry. You can begin being paid for helping an SDI Instructor complete pool training and work along closely with an instructor in several aspects of educating students. This course is quite in depth and offers a lot of pool time, theory and knowledge work, as well as teaches you to become a much better presenter and educator.
Most people use the Assistant Instructor as a stepping stone to reach their ultimate goal of becoming an SDI Instructor.
The SDI Assistant Instructor Course is designed to build on the SDI Divemaster Program by gaining practical teaching experience, learning to prepare lesson plans, and give academic presentations. You will work with an instructor to gain experience teaching before moving on to the SDI Open Water Scuba Diver Instructor level. Once you complete the Specialty Instructor training with a qualified SDI Instructor Trainer, you can become qualified to teach several SDI Specialty Diver courses.
- Minimum age 18
- Certified SDI Divemaster or equivalent
- Provide proof of current CPR, first aid and oxygen provider,* where local law permits
- Provide proof of at least 60 logged dives or 50 logged dives and 25 hours underwater accumulated time
- Possess the minimum instructional equipment, as defined in leadership course standards section two of this manual
*Note: SDI CPROX, CPR1st or CPROX1stAED courses may be combined with the assistant instructor program by qualified instructors
Course Cost: $1900
ELearning Course Code: $310
Class,Pool and Lake Open Water training : $1180
Instructor Pro Kit & Course Materials : $240.00
Registration Fee: $170.00
Saguaro Training Calendar (for Arizona based divers)
What’s next after completing your Assistant Instructor course?
You can continue your diving education by advancing to an SDI Open Water Instructor or by checking out some of the other specialties or courses on our SDI Course Map.
SDI Assistant Instructor Diver minimum requirements:
- Demonstrate all open water diver skills to instructor quality
- Complete the SDI Assistant Instructor exam, or online version, with a minimum score of 80 percent and 100 percent remediation