Disabled Diver Scuba Discovery
SDI has developed a special program designed strictly for disabled individuals that would like to see if diving is an option for them. Many people are able to begin the certification process, but discover scuba is meant to find out if the individual may or may not be able to finish the training. People with a variety of physical disabilities have been able to successfully learn to dive with the assistance of a specially trained scuba instructor and the scuba buddy. This is your team to enable you to explore the underwater realm and be empowered at the same time.
SDI Scubility Scuba Discovery (for Disabled Divers)
The Disabled SDI Scubility Diver Scuba Discovery course is the starting place for any disabled individual who may have any number of limitations or disabilities but still wants to try scuba diving. The benefits of scuba diving are wide ranging in therapeutic and rehabilitative ways. If you have an interest but aren’t sure if the course is right for you, this is an excellent way to get an overview of how scuba diving could be of benefit to you. This course requires the signature of your physician on the Medical statement with any considerations for your disability that must be considered. Minimum age is 18 or 10 with parental consent. Must demonstrate comfort and adequate adapted swimming skills.
Here are some injuries that some people were able to overcome in the water and successfully scuba dive just like anyone else is able to do:
- Brain Injury
- Cerebral Palsy
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Spinal cord Injury
You will sit down with us and have an interview about all the details about diving with your disability. Not two people are the same so it’s important that we discuss what is expected in the water and what you can do in order to successfully execute the actions required to scuba dive. This experience includes:
- Scuba diving in our heated pool
- Use of our diving equipment free of charge
- Working with our diving professional
- Approximately 1 hour of instruction with us
- Personal Hygiene Items
- Interview with Specialized Scubility Instructor
- Be at least 10 years old
- Complete a Discover Scuba Diving medical waiver and liability release. (PDF) Any “Yes” responses on the medical questionnaire will require your physician sign a SDI Medical Statement form (PDF) stating that you are fit to dive.
- Note: Unfortunately, we will not be able to allow you into the water until the proper documents have been completed and signed